Monday, July 27, 2009

Christless Christianity?

Using God and His Son as the springboard to a better life is not Christianity. If you call yourself a Christian it is important to evaluate what Jesus is to you. Is he simply a means to avoid judgement? Simply a way to beat your addictions and bad habits? Approximately two years ago I was sitting in the back of a buddy's car after using cocaine and drinking all nite. I was down at the bottom and couldn't see my way out, had been pulling money off my credit cards for months and spending it on drugs and at the bar. I was helpless. I prayed to God to get me out of it all, because I knew I was in trouble. But what did I really want? Did I want God? Did I want fellowship with Jesus? No. I wanted to be off drugs and live a normal lifestyle. I wanted to be free from my bad habits and filthy lifestyle. Praise God that He didn't stop there. God got me off drugs, got me married, gave me babies. And He gave me his Son. His Son to save me from hell, his Son to give me the power to conquer sin, but most importantly - He gave me Himself. I can talk to God, and God is working in me. I fail, God lifts me up. I am weak, He is strong. He changed my motivations, changed my will. I don't know why God decided to do this for me. Why God from His own free will wanted to pull me out of the darkness and into eternal life. But He did. My experience testifies along with the Bible that I was "born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God." (Joh 1:13 ESV) I didn't even want what God offers us all, but God broke me down, convicted me of my true condition, and gave me life to the uttermost anyway. It's all of God. None of me. And if you are truly a Christian, saved by the blood of Christ, you will not be able to escape that truth. Trust in God, and God alone, because you will fail yourself every time. Repent of your unbelief, repent of your self-reliance. God is the only one who can provide all you need.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far...
and Grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me...
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be...
as long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment