Sunday, March 14, 2010

Turbulent Unhappiness...

"Whatever kind of tribulation presses upon us, we must ever look to this end: to accustom ourselves to contempt for the present life and to be aroused thereby to meditate upon the future life... then only do we rightly advance by the discipline of the cross, when we learn that this life, judged in itself, is troubled, turbulent, unhappy in countless ways, and in no respect clearly happy; that all those things which are judged to be its goods are uncertain, fleeting, vain, and vitiated by many intermingled evils." - John Calvin

How right he is, this life never fails to in its own self disappoint. Life alone, by itself without purpose or meaning is such desperate futility. The new vehicle I buy gets scratched, the new shirt I bought just isn't the same after I wash it, and every time I try to do something good it winds up marred by my own arrogance or annoyance at something trivial that gets in my way. How did I live before? Looking back it seems so distant though it was only a short few years ago... What was there to look forward to then that kept the despair at bay? Must have just managed to stay busy enough not to think about it. Life by itself without hope is such a waste... Don't get me wrong I'm not ungrateful. God has given us so many good things in this life to enjoy. However, unless they are enjoyed with a thankfulness to the Giver and an idea of what they point to in eternity the pleasure of such things fades rather quickly. It saddens me to see people chasing dreams that I know will not satisfy them. If they only new the One who can give true peace and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment